Grapple is nearly at beta!


The "Splash Screen" and all the level select screens are placed along the x axis next to each other and the camera snaps to each spot as you swipe or use the arrow buttons. The background is made the same way as the levels which saves space by not using any additional assets and it looks pretty sweet.


The level select screens, following design patterns for mobile level based games.



This is one of the first images listed on the Play page, it really shows the gameplay of grapple in one image.




But one image is too little so I put all these on the Play store page as well. The trail rendered behind the player makes it really clear how the player has been moving.


Recently did up a new menu to match the new cartoony style of the game and also saved some space using meshes with vertex colors to create this while the old one used textures. The carrot score bar has a pretty nice bounce animation as it fills which is coded in by scaling the carrots. I'll have to get a GIF of that.

Pretty soon Grapple will be entering Beta and I'll be looking for people with android phones to try out the beta release and new maps as they're made!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,

    I'm still trying to figure out the best rope system for my own game and I keep coming back to yours. Did you use Vertlets? Could you point me in the right direction of an article on how to do that?. I've played your demo and I love the feel of it, but I can't seem to reproduce it. Any help would be great. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the established way to make ropes collide with things is but what I've been doing is raycasting between the player and the rope position and creating a new 'link' game object every time there's a collision. So the player makes a rope, there's one link at the start of the rope and every frame I raycast between it and the player, something shows up in the way so I create a new link at the collision point that refers to the old link and the old link refers to the new link. From now on I check between the newest point and the player for obstacles and I also check beween the player and the second newest point so that if there's no longer an obstacle I remove the newest point and go back to using the other one.

      It's a pretty nice system and it works just as well in 3d as it does in 2d but I won't be releaseing it or writing a tutorial until I've released my game because I'd rather get my game out before I reveal all my tricks :P

      Delete
    2. Ah yeah I just looked up vertlets, seems about right that's what I put at every point the rope collided with the level geometry. What sort of game are you making that uses rope?

      Delete
  2. Will it be also on Windows phone Store?

    ReplyDelete